Friday, December 16, 2011

Magulang o Pera?

On my way home last midnight (which was just a couple of hours ago), I saw a group of street children at a corner near my house. They were probably aged between 8-10 but they looked like they were just 6-8 which is the case with most malnourished children. But unlike the ordinary youngster who lives a comfortable and sheltered life, they have to hustle to get by and every step they take means life or death.

But one of the boys asked the rest of the group this question which I believe most children their age won't even have to bother to think about: Ano mas pipiliin mo? Magulang mo o pera? (Which would you rather choose, your parents or money?). One automatically answered: Siyempre magulang ko! (Of course, my parents!). There was a tinge of insult and disgust in his voice, as if it was so appalling that the other child even bothered to ask such a thing. And this made me smile. I hate that we often look at the underprivileged as gold-diggers whose only concern is taking advantage of the next best thing that comes their way. These children proved that family still does matter and that nothing can ever replace the love of a father and a mother for their child. It made me think about my own parents too and how I'd surely give up everything I have now just to be with them again. Because it's true, money can't buy you happiness at all. And even these little children know that.

I'll be wishing well for these kids. I hope the system doesn't make them lose hope and that they continue to fight through life with their values in tact despite the lack of material things. And as a person who has more access, privilege and resources, I hope I can one day help change the system too so that kids like them don't have to debate on these kind of issues nor worry about money or their next meal. They have the right to live comfortably, eat healthily, be able to have fun, get education and be just like any other kid! One day I hope I'd see them off the streets at midnight and instead be home safe with their families. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment